It’s a new era when the topic of the Presidents face book page is his wanting to secure women’s health care rights to abortion after rape.
“I want women to control their health care choices just like I want my daughters to have the same opportunities as your sons”
How very odd to profess you’re securing your daughters Health Care future with “her right to an abortion after rape” while ignoring the fact that her future will never be secure because of rape. The solution to violence against women is not “protecting her right to an abortion after rape” its protecting her and “giving her the same opportunities. This is not about rape this is about winning an election. This is not about violence against women this is about winning an election. This is not even about women’s health care issues; this is about winning an election. It’s all about WINNING an election, it has always been and as long as women repeat the mantra of political campaigns rhetoric it will always be about reproductive rights and not about what does matter to women.
Ninety-two percent of women surveyed listed reducing domestic violence and sexual assault as their top concern.
Why don’t we force candidates to make it about women’s rights that include strict laws and enforcement for violence against women? Until we do we will hear the winning campaign slogan that needs women voters to believe the rhetoric that the “war on women is about reproductive rights” and no other war matters to women. Until we say I am more than a Uterus, I am a whole body and a being that is stalked, and beaten and starved and taunted and belittled and degraded and humiliated and scared, we will live with the shocking reality of violence against women. The odds are 1 in 5 your daughter will be abused in her own home, by her own partner. If you truly want to give your daughters the “same opportunities as your sons” than begin with giving her the opportunity to live life without fear of violence.
Domestic Violence Statistics
- Every 9 seconds in the US a woman is assaulted or beaten.
- Around the world, at least one in every three women has been beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused during her lifetime. Most often, the abuser is a member of her own family.
- Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women, more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined.
- Studies suggest that up to 10 million children witness some form of domestic violence annually.
- Nearly 1 in 5 teenage girls who have been in a relationship said a boyfriend threatened violence or self-harm if presented with a breakup.
- Every day in the US, more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends.
- Ninety-two percent of women surveyed listed reducing domestic violence and sexual assault as their top concern.
- Domestic violence victims lose nearly 8 million days of paid work per year in the US alone the equivalent of 32,000 full-time jobs.
- Based on reports from 10 countries, between 55 percent and 95 percent of women who had been physically abused by their partners had never contacted non-governmental organizations, shelters, or the police for help.
- The costs of intimate partner violence in the US alone exceed $5.8 billion per year: $4.1 billion are for direct medical and health care services, while productivity losses account for nearly $1.8 billion.
- Men who as children witnessed their parents¹ domestic violence were twice as likely to abuse their own wives than sons of nonviolent parents
Filed under: Uncategorized